Monday, 27 February 2012
Magic | Christopher Kane Rainbow Cotton and Silk-Blend Dress
So where do I begin? I don't really know how it started, or how it really happened. I was just sitting under the sycamore tree playing my guitar for the first time in a long time. I had a real good rhythm in my head and was tapping my foot on the grass. My head swayed to the tune that only I could hear. I was happy.
Then I felt a touch on my ankle and found an odd patch on the collar of my sock. Slowly surfing down the air waves, right in front of my eyes, was a snowflake? But it wasn't white, and it was summertime. Why would there be snow? It glittered like a tiny star and I caught it in the palm of my hand. When it didn't melt I knew for sure it wasn't a snowflake. The ground started rumbling and the tree shook against my back. An earthquake! I hugged the trunk tightly, pulling my whole body into it. The earthquake stopped almost as suddenly as it had started, and when I opened my eyes I saw the most incredible sight. There were millions of those glittering things flying in the air around me! Silver and gold, they gleamed and shimmered beautifully in the sun. It was like a dream.
I wandered around in it and reached my arms out to bask in this peculiar rain. I had walked a little distance from where my guitar now leaned against the trunk of the sycamore tree and apparently met an invisible wall. I rubbed my forehead and winced. Using my palms as feelers, I discovered that the whole perimeter around the sycamore tree was covered with this invisible wall. I banged against it but it just absorbed the shock and, like jelly, just bounced my fist right off. I realized that outside the wall, the grass wasn't lain with all this shiny rain. Quickly I climbed up the tree, branch by branch, and as I expected, I could feel the gelatin wall above the tree too. It seemed like I was trapped in a crazy giant's snow globe.
Resting my palms against my hips, I hmph-ed and eventually sighed. Then I plonked myself down on the now glittering grass and waited. I looked all around and above me, tilting my head in all the directions it could possibly be tilted. The air about me was hazy with a soft glow. I was starting to get really sick of just sitting around waiting for something to happen. The sky was beginning to burn with the sunset and I was due home soon for dinner. Somehow, when the sun fell to a position that seemed to face the tree directly, it shone so blindingly I had to turn away. Behind me I saw that the light emitted from the sun had split into the biggest rainbow I had ever seen! And when the sun continued to fall, the rainbow disappeared.. and so did the wall.
Until now I don't know why that event happened to me that day. But I keep it in my heart as one of those rare magical moments you get once in your life. And as proof that I wasn't dreaming, I made sure that when I was about to go home after the sun had set that day, I didn't leave until I had grabbed a handful of those glittering things. They still spontaneously float about in the jar whenever the sun decides to fall.
(photo via Net-A-Porter.com)
Labels:
Christopher Kane,
dress,
magic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment